“Low carb” and “pancakes” – at first glance, they don’t seem to go together. After all, low carb means “low in carbohydrates” and classic pancakes, which contain lots of sugar and flour, are really not that. But if you eat a low carb diet, you don’t necessarily have to give up pancakes for breakfast.
Our recipes show you how easy it is to replace unhealthy ingredients with healthy, low-sugar, low-carb alternatives. The result: healthy pancakes with few carbohydrates, which you can theoretically even fry every day, because they make you fit instead of fat.
Why low carb at all?
With a low carb diet you can effectively kill excess kilos. If you do without carbohydrates to a large extent, your metabolism changes. Instead of drawing its energy from carbohydrates, your body burns fat for energy. This process is called ketosis. Even the unloved fat reserves on the belly can be reduced in this way. How exactly this works, we explain to you in our Low-Carb-Special.
You want to try out the low carb diet? Then take a look and download our 2-week nutrition plan:
These low carb ingredients make pancakes so healthy
The classic main ingredients for pancakes, i.e. flour and sugar, are replaced in the low-carb version by low-carb alternatives, such as almond flour Xylitol or Erythritol exchanged as a sugar substitute. Furthermore, ingredients such as eggs, bananas, cream cheese, low-fat quark or skyr often end up in the healthy weight loss pancakes.
You can then enjoy the finished low-carb pancakes with fresh berries, yogurt, nuts, nut puree, seeds or pureed fruit, as you like. On the other hand, you should rather do without chocolate and caramel sauce, as well as honey or syrup, if you want to lose weight.
Here you’ll find 3 delicious, low-carb pancake recipes that you won’t have to give up even if you’re on a low-carb diet:
1. Simple low carb pancakes with Whey
- 3 eggs
- 1 pinch of salt
- 100 ml milk
- 4 TABLESPOONS Protein powder (vanilla)
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 1 TBSP Erythritol
- Oil for baking
Tip: Oils for spraying, such as this one cooking spray from Yolli, are ideal for preparing pancakes, because you only add a very thin film of oil to the pan. Perfect for baking. Alternatively, you can also use one of these oil spray bottle into which you can pour the oil of your choice and use it again and again.
- Separate eggs and beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff (hand mixer) Set egg white foam aside. The beaten egg whites make the pancakes light and fluffy.
- Mix the egg yolks with the remaining ingredients (except the oil, which is for baking).
- Now fold in the egg whites.
- Pour or spray some oil into a coated pan and heat to low to medium temperature.
- Make 1 to 2 tablespoons of batter at a time to make one pancake, spoon mounds into the pan and bake for 2 to 3 minutes. Gently turn once in between.
2. Recipe for low carb pancakes with banana
- 1 banana
- 2 eggs
- 65 ml buttermilk
- 50 g almond flour
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- optional: 1 tbsp erythritol or 1 tsp xylitol
- Oil for baking
- Separate the eggs and beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Mash bananas with a fork and mix with egg yolk and buttermilk. Add the cinnamon to the flour and then to the banana mix. Finally fold in the egg whites.
- Bake on medium heat for a few minutes on each side.
3. Recipe for protein pancakes with oatmeal
- 5 medium egg white(s)
- 75 g oatmeal
- 25 g Whey protein powder
- 90 g low-fat curd cheese
- 50 g Erythritol
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- For topping:
- Peanut butter and chopped nuts of your choice
- Whisk all ingredients in a bowl with a hand mixer. It is best to use tender oatmeal, then the batter will be more uniform.
- Then put the dough in small portions (1 tablespoon) in a heated pan with a little oil and fry evenly on both sides on low heat, done. Ingredients make about 8 pancakes.
- Spread with a little peanut butter and top with chopped nuts.
You don’t have to do without delicious pancakes even on a low-carb diet if you pay attention to good ingredients and don’t use white flour and industrial sugar. Fancy even more low carb recipes to lose weight? Then just download our Cookbook.